Sarasota DUI Accident Lawyer
Aggressive Defense for DUI Accident Charges in Florida
Being charged with a DUI is a serious matter, but if you are accused of causing an accident while driving under the influence, the stakes are even higher. If you are convicted of a DUI accident, you could face years in prison, thousands of dollars in fines, and a permanent criminal record. You will also be held liable for the damages you caused, which could amount to tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars.
At Lail Law Firm, PLLC, we understand the fear and uncertainty you are facing. Our Sarasota DUI accident attorney is here to help you navigate the legal process and fight for the best possible outcome in your case. We have a proven track record of success and are prepared to go to trial on your behalf.
What Is a DUI Accident?
In Florida, a DUI accident occurs when a person is driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol and causes an accident. This can include a wide range of collisions, from minor fender benders to serious multi-vehicle pileups. If you are involved in an accident, you are required by law to stop and remain at the scene until you have fulfilled your legal obligations. If you leave the scene of an accident, you could be charged with a hit and run, which is a separate criminal offense.
After a DUI accident, you must:
- Stop your vehicle as close to the scene of the accident as possible
- Provide your name, address, and vehicle registration number to the other driver(s) involved in the accident
- Provide your driver’s license to the other driver(s) involved in the accident
- Render reasonable assistance to anyone who is injured, including calling 911
- Wait at the scene of the accident until you have provided your information and rendered reasonable assistance
Once you have fulfilled your legal obligations, you can leave the scene of the accident. However, you must report the accident to the police within 10 days if the accident resulted in injury or death. If you fail to report the accident, you could be charged with a hit and run.
What Are the Penalties for a DUI Accident Conviction?
Being convicted of a DUI accident can result in severe criminal and administrative penalties. In Florida, a DUI accident is typically charged as a felony, which is a more serious offense than a misdemeanor. The specific penalties you face will depend on the circumstances of your case, including your criminal history and whether anyone was injured or killed in the accident.
A DUI accident conviction can result in the following penalties:
- Up to 5 years in prison
- Up to 15 years in prison if someone was seriously injured
- Up to 30 years in prison if someone was killed
- Up to $5,000 in fines
- Up to $10,000 in fines if someone was seriously injured
- Up to $10,000 in fines if someone was killed
- Permanent driver’s license revocation
- Permanent criminal record
- Restitution to the victim(s)
- Community service
- Mandatory DUI school
- Mandatory substance abuse treatment
- Mandatory ignition interlock device installation
If you have been charged with a DUI accident, it is crucial that you contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible. Our Sarasota DUI accident lawyer can help you understand the charges you are facing and develop a strong defense strategy on your behalf.
How Can a Sarasota DUI Accident Lawyer Help?
Being charged with a DUI accident can be overwhelming, but you don’t have to face the legal process alone. Our Sarasota DUI accident attorney is here to guide you every step of the way. We can help you understand the charges you are facing and the potential penalties you are up against. We can also conduct a thorough investigation into your case to determine if the police violated your rights or made any mistakes during the arrest process.
Our DUI accident lawyer in Sarasota can help you by:
- Conducting a thorough investigation into your case
- Reviewing the police report and any available evidence
- Interviewing witnesses
- Working with accident reconstruction experts
- Building a strong defense strategy on your behalf
- Negotiating with the prosecution to get the charges against you reduced or dismissed
- Representing you at trial, if necessary
At Lail Law Firm, PLLC, we are committed to providing each and every client with the personalized legal solutions they need and the supportive counsel they deserve. We will work tirelessly to protect your rights and fight for your future.
Get Started on Your Case Today
If you have been charged with a DUI accident, you need to take the situation seriously. A conviction can result in years in prison, thousands of dollars in fines, and a permanent criminal record. You will also be held liable for the damages you caused, which could amount to tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Our Sarasota DUI accident lawyer can help you understand the charges you are facing and develop a strong defense strategy on your behalf. We will fight tirelessly to protect your rights and your future.
Lail Law Firm, PLLC is a client-focused firm that has your best interest in mind. We are available 24/7 to best suit your needs.
With care, attention, and my years of experience in Criminal Defense, Attorney Brian J. Lail will fight hard to obtain the most favorable outcome.
Attorney Brian J. Lail offers free consultations. Call today to schedule a consultation with an aggressive criminal defense attorney.
Yo Hablo Espanol
If you are in need of Spanish speaking services, Attorney Brian J. Lail is ALTA fluent in Spanish.